What Wellness Trends Should You Try?

my favorite wellness trends

Hi Y’all! I’m back writing about one of my favorite things…wellness trends!

If you didn’t catch my other posts on which wellness trends are scientifically on point and which ones are bunk check them out here and here.

There are so many out there and I love helping you by researching and trying them out so you know which ones are worth spending your time and money on. I know all of you are here to learn how to lead your healthiest lives and that means not wasting your precious time. Lord knows there aren’t enough hours in the day.

*Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. When you make a purchase through the links, we may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. However, all my opinions are my own.

Busy? Pin now and read later!

Morning Pages

The what:

The idea of morning pages was created by Julia Cameron in her book The Artist’s Way published in 1992 and I promise you it has stood the test of time. Her book is full of great suggestions, but her most talked about one is hand-writing three pages each morning with anything that pops into your head. It doesn’t need to tell a story, have a point or even make any sense.

This is one wellness trend that I really need to jump on and I plan to as soon as I get more acclimated to my new job. I journal regularly and have always valued hand-writing over typing, but I think writing out streamless thought without any purpose could be really freeing.

This was first brought to my attention years ago, but most recently by one of the baddest boss bitches around and one of my fave self-care gurus, Lauryn Evarts.

The deets:

There are no specific studies that have been done on morning pages, but there’s been a lot of research showing that writing out your thoughts can be beneficial and how healing it can be. I can personally attest that journaling has done wonders with helping me overcome issues and I can’t wait to see what my three morning pages do.

Taking the time to write down your thoughts by hand is also a practice in mindfulness and we all know how beneficial mindfulness is! Mindfulness can lower stresses levels, lower anxiety and increase your overall happiness.

Want to learn more? Check out this article interviewing Julia Cameron on how writing three morning pages can transform your life.

wellness trends

Sensory Deprivation Tank

The what:

The tanks come in all different shapes and sizes, but the basics are you get into this light-proof, soundproof, pod-shaped tank full of water that has enough Epsom salts in it that you float on top of the water. Now if you read my previous wellness post you know that Epsom salts don’t actually do anything for relieving muscle soreness, but in this case, they serve their purpose by helping you float on the water like your own personal dead sea.

You should be nice and cozy because the water is set to 93.5 degrees. Then you just chill out and relax while all your senses are deprived of stimuli.

For someone like me, this sounds like torture, but that means I probably really need it. My brain moves a mile a minute and my life’s goal is to learn how to work with it and not against it. Plus, I’m not a huge fan of enclosed spaces.

My first memory ever of seeing these was on Fringe so you know I just have to try it.

The deets:

A sensory deprivation tank can have impacts similar to meditation like lowering cortisol which can slow down recovery if you’re an active person and can help lower stress, depression and anxiety.

There have only been small-scale studies done on floating so I wouldn’t call this a scientifically sound wellness trend yet, but I would say it’s definitely worth a try from the aforementioned studies and tons of anecdotal evidence around the web. I’ll add my own as soon as I try it!

Also, if you’re a meditation junkie like me this may bring your practice to a whole other level.

wellness

Acupuncture

The what:

Acupuncture is the insertion of needles into certain parts of the body to stimulate them to bring healing to the area. Acupuncture has been around for a long time, but it’s been one of the biggest wellness trends over the last few years that only seems to be gaining more steam. The ancient practice believed illnesses were caused by imbalances in energies and the insertion of the needles were to correct those imbalances.

Nowadays, in medical communities, acupuncture is used to bring your body’s natural healing abilities to certain areas of the body by stimulating them.

Despite a huge amount of research, acupuncture is still rarely covered by most insurances.

The deets:

Acupuncture has been shown to help reduce headaches and migraines, chronic pain (specifically back pain), insomnia, symptom management of cancer and chemotherapy, cognitive decline, and pregnancy and labor.

Acupuncture is complementary medication and not a treatment because as far as research shows it can’t cure anything, but it can help alleviate the symptoms.

One of the biggest questions that are still up in the air about acupuncture is whether acupuncture’s ancient practices of placing the needles in specific locations have any impact or if putting the needles in the general vicinity is all that matters.

With the amount of positive research out there if you suffer from any of the above I would definitely give acupuncture a try. I hate needles, but I’ll always jump at the chance for some acupuncture because I feel so zen after! It also helped me beat Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth by promoting healthy digestion and assisted in easing my hip pain.

I have no doubt acupuncture is helpful for so many different issues and definitely ranks at the top of one of the best wellness trends to try.

There you have it…the latest and greatest wellness trends! Hopefully, you can narrow down your bucket list to just the wellness trends that work and save some of your green stuff for better things.

Now I want to hear from you! Have you tried acupuncture or any other wellness trend out there? Share with your tribe and let me know your experiences below!

Want to read more? Check out my post here on finding your balance and if you’re up for the challenge check out my 30-day challenge to being your most kick-ass self!

*This is not medical advice. It is just my personal experience and research put together to aid you on your wellness journey.

1. Vanessa wrote:

I’ve only tried acupuncture. Surprisingly, I liked getting stuck with needles…..so much so, I fell asleep! I would definitely do it again.

Posted 8.7.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

That’s a better reaction than most, Vanessa. I’m glad you liked it!

Posted 8.7.18 Reply
  2. Zahra wrote:

Love wellness trends! I think another interesting one is the cupping trend… it’s becoming super popular!

Posted 8.7.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Zahra, they’re such a blast. At least to me! Cupping is so awesome. I’m gonna post on that one soon too. The hickey-looking marks always make me laugh.

Posted 8.7.18 Reply
  3. sophhearts wrote:

Ooh this is such an interesting post! I really want to try acupuncture and have never heard of morning pages but that sounds super beneficial too! I’ll have to give it a go!

Soph – https://sophhearts.com/ x

Posted 8.7.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Thanks so much! I hope you like them!

Posted 8.7.18 Reply
  4. Great suggestions! I am SO curious about sensory deprivation tanks, but I’m afraid I would just have a panic attack, hahaha. Yayyyyy anxiety!

Posted 8.7.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Same, Michaelle! I’m not great at enclosed spaces, haha.

Posted 8.7.18 Reply
  5. Catherine Santiago Jose wrote:

Such an great post and you really given us a nice suggestions. I think I will work on a 3 pages writing seems I like to write everything about my life experiences. I have never tried the acupuncture because I am afraid with needles but knowing how can help me to remove or at least to ease my back pain I will try to do it.

Posted 8.10.18 Reply

Hi Catherine,

I hope you give it a go. It did a world of good for my frozen shoulder issues.

6. Emma Riley wrote:

These are great suggestion! I have never tried acupuncture because I am afraid with needles but it looks like a nice thing to try for my back pain.

Posted 8.10.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Hi Emma, Acupuncture, dry needling and cupping are what got my shoulder back into working order after everything seized up for months on end. It was also an easy place for me to start my acupuncture journey on because I couldn’t see the needles so hopefully, that’s the case with you and your back.

Try out alternative methods for your back pain asap because I know how terrible back pain can be and you don’t have to deal with those issues forever! Let me know if you try anything and how it goes for you!

7. katharinahein wrote:

Floating sounds so amazing! I haven’t heard of this before but found places in Germany as well 🙂

Posted 8.10.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

I’m waiting for the right moment to give it a try!

8. Indu wrote:

Wellness is my favorite subject. Enjoyed reading wellness trends and your personal experience on wellness routine.

Posted 8.10.18 Reply

Hi Indu,

You and me both. Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing about some of your own experiences!

Posted 8.12.18 Reply
  9. I’m really keen to try the deprivation tank. It doesn’t sound like the most pleasant experience, but I’ve read good things about it from other posts. I’ll let you know how I get on!

Posted 8.10.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Please do! I’m super curious about this!

Posted 8.12.18 Reply
  10. This is totally off the tracks of what I believe in , but I do believe in meditation, and getting to know your body I even considered acupuncture when my 3rd child wanted to set up residence in my body ( LOL) . So awesome that you took the time to study and reflect on this

Posted 8.10.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Proud of you for pushing outside your comfort zone of what you believe in! I’m a huge believer in “if it doesn’t hurt it’s worth a try”.

I can relate because I don’t particularly believe things like crystals help manage energies, but I know that they’ve helped others and if it’s not hurting them then I say go for it. On the other hand, if someone wants to improve their wellness, but also not spend too much money I try and give them the lowdown on what actually works/has scientific research backing it and what doesn’t.

11. Jessica T. wrote:

I’ve always wanted to try acupuncture. I just have a hard time believing it will help me. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 8.10.18 Reply

Hi Jessica,

I would definitely look into some of the research I linked and/or just go on PubMed to look at all the different research and make your decision from there. I try all different kind of wellness trends and look at the research later so that it doesn’t impact what my feelings are about it, but for most people I would suggest just learning as much about it as you can and the different experiments that have been run on it to see if it would be beneficial to you.

12. Emma Bell wrote:

Some really great information here! I’ve been wanting to try sensory deprivation tanks for a while now. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 8.10.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

You’re so welcome, Emma. Let me know how it goes for you!

Posted 8.12.18 Reply
  13. I want to try acupuncture, but kind of nervous.

Posted 8.11.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Unless you’re getting it in a painful spot with little skin like your foot it’s not bad at all. I definitely understand the anticipation anxiety of it all, but it’s more scary thinking about it than it is to actually do it. That’s coming from someone who hates needles. 🙂

14. Nati wrote:

These are so interesting! I’ve never heard of morning pages although I’ve discovered the benfits of journaling many many years ago. Also I’ve got acupuncture in different occasions and I’ve always noticed positive effects!

Posted 8.11.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Thanks, Nati! I love journaling. I can see how morning pages is different because it’s just whatever you’re thinking vomitted out onto paper. Whenever I’m journaling I still try and make it understandable.

I’m glad you liked acupuncture too!

15. fibidrese wrote:

I tried the acupuncture a few times already and it worked for me. I am quite enjoy the time during the Acupuncture

Posted 8.11.18 Reply

Hi!

I’m glad you thought it was beneficial. I just hate the laying part of acupuncture when you have to stay still with all the needles in you. I get very antsy and I’m afraid I”ll roll over and stick myself further with a needle, lmao.

16. Terri Steffes wrote:

I think that the writing in the morning is a helpful thing. I have done a salt flair which is a sensory deprivation activity.

• awaitressnomore wrote:

I totally agree and I’m trying really hard to make it a regular thing for me in the mornings to try out.

17. Laila wrote:

This is a really interesting article. I haven’t tried any of these but I may just try out the morning pages and acupuncture. I don’t think I’d do well in the sensory tanks haha

Hi Laila,

The sensory tanks are the one that freaks me out the most, but I think I’d give it a try just to know, haha.

• Laila wrote:

Haha well when you give it a try let me know how it goes and maybe I’ll try it out

I’ll be sure to share!

Posted 8.16.18 Reply
  18. Elizabeth O wrote:

This is a really interesting post indeed. There are definitely some great wellness trends out there and they look interesting to try.

• awaitressnomore wrote:

Thanks, I find you hope one that you want to try out!

19. Ankur wrote:

This is a really interesting post indeed

Thanks so much!

Posted 8.16.18 Reply
  20. I’m also into acupuncture! It helps me balance my hormones and also improve my acne problems too. Many people use acupuncture to help with their overweight issues too!

Posted 8.13.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

I haven’t heard of it being used for weight issues! I wonder if it’s because it does balance the hormones and maybe helps with insulin resistance. I’ll have to do some more research! I’d love to do a whole post just on accupuncture.

Posted 8.16.18 Reply