My 5th Week Healing After Hip Reconstruction Surgery

healing from hip surgery

Hey hey, everyone! Welcome to the 5th-week installment of my healing process after hip reconstruction surgery. You can catch up on my journey here.

I’m so close to being off crutches and getting rid of this brace and it couldn’t come at a better time. The brace is really starting to get on my nerves while I’m trying to sleep. I’ve gained a little bit of weight from being so inactive which got to me a little bit, but I just gave myself a pep talk. Being pain-free is well worth a couple extra lbs.

My abdominal cramping got a TON better this week. It’s still there sometimes, but I actually had a few days where it was completely gone. Woot!

*Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. When you make a purchase through the links, we may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. However, all my opinions are my own.

Week 5

Day 29-

I got my two hours of biking in. I kind of want to throw the bike out the window, but I try and concentrate on the fact that I’m almost done with it. I’m have to keep biking for a total of 8 weeks post-surgery. I’ve been eating healthy

Day 30-

I got my biking out of the way early and my mom brought me over to her house to go through some of my boxes that were in storage. She just brought the boxes to me and we played the keep, give away or throw out game. She bribed me with blackberry market so I couldn’t say no. Plus, my mom is the absolute best. She’s come over to watch me, cook and clean around the apartment, deliver coffees, make sure I get outside and so much more. I wouldn’t trade her in for anything.

I also got to spend some time with my Portuguese Water Dog, Angus. He stays with my mom and loves her more so I wouldn’t dare to take him away. Isn’t he such a cutie?

quality time healing from hip surgery

Day 31-

I made collagen gummies which were super delicious, but I was paying zero attention and threw the leftover collagen gummy bear mix down the drain (yeah, don’t do that). Cue our sink not draining and our dishwasher pouring suds out of the bottom unbeknownst to us until our guest pointed it out. Tyler had to open up the pipes and low and behold there was a giant egg-shaped gummy bear plugging everything up. I couldn’t deny that one. Blonde moment!

After everything was cleaned up I watched some terrible Nicholas Cage movie (which one isn’t?) and he had a ponytail. Yikes. I biked during most of it, but biking is still causing me abdominal cramps. They are coming on later and later though. Instead of coming on the first 10 minutes or so they come around the one hour mark. It’s an improvement I’ll definitely take.

I could not get comfortable that night to sleep and stayed up till like 3 AM. And that’s with taking Melatonin. I keep waking up early too. I wonder if it’s just because of the lack of activity. Who knows.

Day 32-

I biked and tried out the new scar ointment that I ordered off Amazon after looking at a ton of reviews. Silicone sheets are super hard to keep on, but with Scarguard Repair you get all the benefits of silicone sheets and Vitamin E without any issues with the sheets coming off. If you’ve used liquid bandaids before it’s a lot like that.

The smell is very chemical-like, but that goes away quickly. You just brush the liquid onto the scars and wait for 1 minute before putting on any clothing. It needs to be applied twice a day so I just did morning and evening. By the end of the week, my scars were smoother and less noticeable. I’m so excited to see how much better it gets!

Day 33-

I was a bad girl and didn’t bike today. I just got so fed up with the abdominal cramps I decided to give me body a few days to not be pissed off and let any swelling go down. I’m pretty sure it was my psoas being pissed off from where they did the fractional release.

I’ve been doing flat back lays where you just lay flat on a bed with no pillow so that my psoas gets a good stretch. I’m scared of it growing back tight again so I’m trying to address that. I also have been spending some tummy time. Don’t do this if you have a hip replacement though!

I’ve been icing non-stop with my ice machine too to keep the inflammation down and I’ve been eating inflammatory foods. I don’t swell on the outside, but I sure do on the inside!

Day 34-

Happy St. Patrick’s Day (even though it’s belated by now). I’m super Irish…my last name is O’Neill. So St. Patrick’s Day is one of my fave holidays right after Christmas and Halloween. I actually got to feel somewhat normal today. My bf got a wheelchair for me so that I could go on our 4th annual bar crawl with our friends. It was his chance to play sober driver since I hardly ever drink. I think it gave him a much-needed insight on want I have to deal with when being his designated driver all the time.

I have a whole new understanding of what people in wheelchairs go through. It is ROUGH. I was lucky enough that I could get out of the wheelchair and hop around like a fool while they brought the contraption over stoops, but a lot of people don’t have that option. I was floored by how many bars aren’t wheelchair accessible. If I was confined to a wheelchair I’d have to call ahead to make sure the location was wheelchair friendly. Much like I have to do with my food allergies. It’s a pain in the ass not to be able to just be spontaneous.

Only half of the bars we went to didn’t have stoops. Most of the places were very accommodating though and I even got a “props to you for coming out” from an ID checker at the door. I only stayed out for a few hours because I was getting super sleepy and starting to get in pain, but I managed to hold out until we got to Scratch and had an amazing burger sans pretzel bun (weeps). If you’re ever in Forest Park Scratch and Duck Fat are the best places to check out. Their fries made in duck fat are to die for.

Still not biking in order to give my psoas some rest.

healing after hip surgery and psoas release

My bestie and I chilling on St. Patrick’s Day!

Day 35-

Not as sore after everything yesterday as I thought I would be and no abdominal cramps almost all day!

The bf and I went over to celebrate his sister’s birthday over at his family’s house for lunch. I always have the best time there and they sure know how to cook up a feast!

My middle finger on my right hand had started swelling yesterday morning. I figured I crushed it in something, but it still hasn’t gone down and it’s starting to look bruised towards the nail. I decided if it didn’t go down by tomorrow that I’d go into urgent care.

Last day not biking

Day 36-

My finger is still swollen and the bruise is growing a bit. I really don’t want to lose my nail after I took so long to grow them out after spending years biting them. It was a pretty quick in and out. I had an abscess that they had to drain that can be caused by biting cuticles or getting your nails done at a salon (guilty and guilty). It was not pleasant, but I’ve learned that laying down while getting my blood drawn and this kind of thing help with not passing out.

She had prescribed antibiotics, but I asked her if it was okay to skip them possibly. After spending so long trying to heal my gut after getting Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth I try as hard as I can to not do anything to cause it to come back. You can read more about your microbiome here and here. I explained to her what SIBO was and she said I only needed to take antibiotics if it started to look infected and to come back in if it didn’t get better or I started to get a red streak up my arm.

It started to feel better almost an hour later!

I tried on some new clothing that I received and snapped some adorable pics for y’all. Follow me on Instagram to see my favorites for spring!

I biked for an hour before calling it a day. Cramps where setting in so between that and finger pain I was very done with this day.

hip surgery

Pardon the weird face, but this pic was too funny not to share. This is how my boyfriend warms me up when I tell him I’m freezing while biking!

That’s a wrap folks! Until week 6 of course, haha. I feel in a much better headspace than where I was this time last week!

In the meantime check out my most recent posts about why germs are good for you. Please let me know below if you have any questions for me or about anything you’re dealing with. I’m here to help!

healing from hip surgery

1. March 21, 2018 / 12:30 pm

Why did you need the surgery? Sounds like one hell of a journey. Good for you for pushing through and taking care of yourself even if that care sometimes hurts.

March 21, 2018 / 11:00 pm

I had hip surgery in 2011 to repair my labrum. It’s basically what keeps your femoral head in your hip socket and keeps them from rubbing up against each other. I suffered for about two years with chronic abdominal pain and zero hip pain. Turns out they missed something during my first surgery and the bony spur they left tore up my whole labrum and made a tendon that runs from your groin up to your belly button super tight. I presented extremely odd so it took them a long time to figure out and a lot of advocating for myself. I saw 46 doctors by the time someone actually had some vague idea of what might be wrong. I’m just grateful someone finally did!

2. March 21, 2018 / 2:09 pm

It sounds like you’re being very productive and it’s good to hear that you’re feeling so much better and that you’ve gone through a lot of progress. It’s good to follow your routine but it’s also important to know when your body has had enough.

March 21, 2018 / 10:58 pm

Keeping busy makes the time go by much faster. Plus I had a million things on my to-do list that I actually got to do since I had some down time.

3. Esme Sy
    March 21, 2018 / 2:59 pm

I would imagine that your Week 7 will be more of the same good things you’ve had from weeks 5 and 6. You’re doing good! I know that surgeries are awful and sometimes met with bad timing but all of these are just phases you never know you’ll forget someday soon because of the real bliss that’s about to come in your life.

March 21, 2018 / 10:57 pm

Hi Esme,

Yeah, I wouldn’t trade this journey in for anything. Before it all started I had zero clue what I wanted to do with my life or what my purpose was. It definitely helped push me back on track. That being said I will take all the bliss! 😀

4. March 21, 2018 / 3:55 pm

I can’t imagine going through this. You have definitely been through a lot and you should be happy that you’re making such progress. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

March 21, 2018 / 10:55 pm

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your kind words. Gotta keep on truckin’.

5. Daisy
    March 21, 2018 / 5:33 pm

You have truly gone thru so much…. I’m happy you are making progress and wish you a fast healing…

March 21, 2018 / 10:54 pm

Thanks so much, Daisy!

6. March 21, 2018 / 6:42 pm

I’m so glad to hear that you’re recovering! Baby steps are important, and you’re coming along wonderfully. I hope you’re feeling 100% in no time at all! xx

March 21, 2018 / 10:54 pm

Thanks, Emily! I’m just so excited to be able to confidently plan some summer trips. Last year I couldn’t really plan because I never knew how I was going to feel. I’m having some major wanderlust right now!

7. March 21, 2018 / 7:45 pm

Wow, it sounds like you have been through quite a bit. It is good that you are healing well. Keep us posted on your progress. Sending good vibes for a speedy recovery as well.
    Nailil

March 21, 2018 / 10:53 pm

Thanks so much, Nailil. Keep those vibes high!

8. March 21, 2018 / 9:36 pm

Sorry to hear that you went through all this but hats off to you girl for sharing your healing journey. Hope you get better soon!

March 21, 2018 / 10:53 pm

Hi Ana,

Thanks so much for reading. I honestly wouldn’t trade the experience for the world. It definitely put me on the right path.

9. Elizabeth O
    March 22, 2018 / 1:03 pm

So pleased to read your recovery is going well, slowly but surely you are making great progress and I hope you are back to full health soon. Keep trooping on!

10. Joanna
    March 22, 2018 / 3:06 pm

I actually know someone who is also recovering after hip replacement surgery and he is hoping to get back on the golf course by may. I laughed at your gummy bear collagen incident. I guess it can happen to anyone, you wouldn’t think that it can do so much damage.

March 22, 2018 / 4:03 pm

Best of luck to him! It’s a hard road, but definitely worth it. People laugh when I said I felt better a few weeks after hip surgery, despite the pain, because I had been in so much pain before. It’s awesome!

11. March 22, 2018 / 4:24 pm

You are dealing with a tough situation with great aplomb. I hope you your road to recovery stays on track. Keep smiling and take care 🙂

March 22, 2018 / 6:21 pm

Thank you so much, sweetheart!

12. March 22, 2018 / 8:20 pm

It sounds like you are keeping busy and being productive in it, which is very good. It is nice to hear that you’re feeling so much better, you are one brave girl!

March 23, 2018 / 4:23 pm

I try 🙂

13. March 23, 2018 / 1:42 am

You are doing so well! I’m happy your healing is coming along nicely, and it’s cool to hear about that scar ointment (and that it’s actually making a difference). Just thinking about having to bike after what you’ve gone through makes me queasy and irritable lol. I’m glad you gave your body a break. And props for getting out for St. Pats!!

March 23, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Hi Ayana,

I was thrilled to bike at first even though it was painful just because it was something to do, haha. Now it’s not painful, but it gets boring super quick. I’ve tried to make it more enjoyable by facing it towards a window and listening to a good book on Audible, but there’s only so much you can do 🙂

14. March 23, 2018 / 7:22 pm

Oh gosh, thanks for sharing this recovery journey with us. It feels painful just by looking at your words, I’m glad you are recording this to motivate people and yourself! Keep going!

March 23, 2018 / 9:27 pm

Thanks so much, Tiffany. Being able to share with everyone during this hard time has made it so much easier. All the questions and comments from people who are going through the same thing or similar that I can help with makes me feel so useful when I’m stuck in the house most of the time, haha.

15. March 24, 2018 / 6:12 am

Glad you are making recovery steps.

March 25, 2018 / 12:04 am

Thanks, Jossy!

16. Journa Ramirez
    March 24, 2018 / 2:49 pm

So good to see that you’re feeling a lot better now. Stay strong! Sending lots of love.

March 25, 2018 / 12:04 am

Thanks, girly!

17. March 24, 2018 / 5:59 pm

You are making quite the progress. I hope it continues to get better for you.

March 25, 2018 / 12:04 am

Aw, thank you so much, Cia!

18. March 25, 2018 / 5:58 pm

Girl you are kicking some major butt! The fact that you have been biking while in so much pain says a lot about your willpower. Keep up the good work!

March 25, 2018 / 7:20 pm