How to Travel and Still Reach Your Fitness Goals

how to travel and still reach your fitness goals

I love travelling. Just check out my travel page! However, it can be hard to keep up my healthy lifestyle while on the road. There’s temptations to eat out a lot and gyms aren’t always available so you have to get creative! I don’t ever want to let my passion for health hamper my wanderlust, but I also want to reach my fitness goals. If you’re going on a vacation it’s important to make sure that you’re taking the rest and relaxation you deserve. If you miss a couple days of working out, but spend your days walking around and visiting new sites you’re still being active.

Do you want some tips and tricks on how to travel, but still reach your fitness goals? Here’s how to travel and still reach your fitness goals. Keep reading!

10 ways to stay healthy while travelling

Pack for success. Make sure that you’re bring everything you need to stay active from your gym shoes to a jump rope. Getting to your destination and realizing you forgot your gym shoes or running shorts can really put a damper on your exercise plans so make a list ahead of time of all the items you want to bring. I usually pack Lara Bars, my gym shoes, my supplements, exercise clothing geared towards the weather, my swimsuit and my exercise bands. I also pack pack food for the plane if it’s going to be a long trip and bring whatever healthy snacks I’m digging at the moment.

Choose hotels with an exercise room if possible. If there’s an option for a hotel with an exercise room within my budget I will always choose to go there. Having an exercise room available means I can keep up with my normal weight lifting routine even it means adjusting a few things here and there as most hotel gyms don’t have barbells or squat racks. I usually just end up doing my exercises with dumbbells in place of barbells.

Search the area for gyms that offer short-term passes. One of the first things I do when planning a long-term trip is to see if there’s any local gyms that offer temporary passes or short-term passes. Some of them don’t say they do on their website, but give them a call! Most will be willing to work with you. You can also see if they offer a free trial pass to the gym, but you may end up getting annoying sales calls after that. I’ve been there done that.

Look for opportunities to get your exercise in other ways. When I visited Minneapolis I took a bike tour and spent a ton of time walking around the city. On those days I didn’t bother exercising because I was already getting in a ton of movement. I love finding ways to explore where I’m at and get in some movement for my body.

Related:  6 Ways to Keep Active and Healthy on Vacation

Center your trip around a physical activity. Want to go to Colorado? Go during ski season and spend your days hitting the slopes and your evenings checking out the city. Is California on your bucket list? Stay near a beach that offers surfing lessons for beginners. Surfing is a great full body workout! I love hiking so hiking a place like Yosemite would be a dream come true. There’s tons of places you can visit that also center around physical activities if that interests you.

Run or walk to take in the sites. One of my favorite things to do when travelling is to get up before everyone else and fit in an early run in the morning to see the city as it awakens. Typically, I always have a lot of stuff planned for the day and I know by that evening I won’t feel like fitting in a workout so I make sure to get it done first thing. The beauty of running is you can do is anywhere you stay 99% of the time and all you need is the proper clothing and running shoes and you’re off! So if you’re taking Spirit or need to travel light running is a great way to stay active without having to check a bag. Remember to always keep your ID on you  and $5 in case of emergencies!

Find exercise classes to take. Some hotels will even offer exercise classes like yoga on the beach which I find makes me way more likely to carve out time to get my sweat on. When I did CrossFit avidly before my chronic pain I would visit local boxes, but now I just use Yelp to find exercise classes with good reviews in the area that I might like. So I get to try out new yoga teachers from around the world or a different kind of HIIT workout and come back home refreshed from working out a little differently than I normally do. I love new experiences and widening my fitness knowledge!

Plan your meals. 10This may sound super boring and not spontaneous at all, but planning your meals can be extremely helpful in preventing you from going back home feeling bloated and gross from too many burgers or shots! This doesn’t mean you can’t splurge just make sure you’re planning those as well! If I know I’m going to an extremely yummy dinner where I’ll want to splurge on my calories I try to eat a light breakfast and a healthy lunch. It’s all about moderation. Due to my food intolerances I also make sure to look at all the places I’m going ahead of time to make sure there’s something I can eat there or I call to see if they can accommodate me.

Related:  Vacationing in Mackinac Island: Horses, Vegan Fudge and Ferries....Oh My!

Find a hotel with a kitchenette. A lot of hotels also offer kitchenettes where you can do your own cooking. The place we stayed at in Myrtle Beach had it and I LOVED it! They give you cookware, plates, flatware, a stove and refrigerator and it’s just like being at home. For some people this may sound like the opposite of what they want on vacation, but I love being able to go to the local grocery store and cooking healthy meals for myself. I still eat out a couple of the nights I’m there, but I don’t return home feeling bloaty or gross from all the extra salt and other goodies that eating out all the time brings.

Find exercise videos on your laptop. I almost always bring my laptop with me in case I need to look up an exercise video from Yoga by Candace or my other favorite places to find online workouts. I make sure to search for body weight workouts or yoga workouts where weights and/or props aren’t needed. A lot of weight lifters scoff at body weight exercises, but let me tell you they can be just as hard as lifting weights and functional movement is so important to your overall health.

There you have it! This is how I travel and still reach my fitness goals. Travelling doesn’t need to be unhealthy or be a step back from any progress you’ve taken in the health department. It can actually be a refreshing experience if you try out new exercise classes. Changing up your workouts every so often and adding in variety is so important to keep you motivated and to learn to use your muscles in a different way. The workout I get from yoga is very different than the workout I get from weight lifting, but they are both necessary for my all around health.

Did you like my tips and tricks to travelling and still reaching your fitness goals? Please share! Do you have any tips you like to use to stay fit on the road? Please share below! I’d love to hear from you.

1. A hotel with a kitchen is huge deal! That definitely helps maintain goals. These are all great ideas! Thanks for sharing

Posted 11.6.17 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Yeah, I had never done that as an adult before this summer. It was amazing!

2. Anna wrote:

Great tips! I always find it hard to keep to my routine while travelling. Especially after a long journey on the plain. Fortunately I love walking, so I do a lot of sightseeing on foot 🙂

Posted 11.6.17 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

I specifically love bike tours so it’s an easy way for me to work up an appetite and see a location!

3. MoJo wrote:

This is a great post! Maintaining my fitness routine while we are traveling is always something I struggle with. Great things to think about!
    Thanks!

• awaitressnomore wrote:

Aw, thanks so much! It used to nag at me to travel without being able to keep up with my normal routine, but I learned to get imaginative, not hold myself to such strict standards and to enjoy the new challenges I could experience by going to local exercise joints.

4. Echo wrote:

What great ideas. My husband travels a little t and kind of uses it as an excuse. These are some great tips I’m going on o share with him.

• awaitressnomore wrote:

Thanks so much! Yeah, I hate coming back from vacation and feeling so sluggish. Being able to exercise during vacation helps tremendously. As does not eating out for every meal. It’s a lot of sodium for my poor little body to take in. I love travelling healthier cities like Minneapolis that have healthy restaurant options!

5. Amy wrote:

It’s SO tough to keep up with your exercise while you travel. I’ve thought about doing running tours of cities to stay active!

• awaitressnomore wrote:

When I was in Myrtle Beach I loved running to take in the sites. There’s an alaskan cruise that has you relax and then allows you to run at the ports they dock up to. Dream vacay right there for me!

6. mama802 wrote:

My family and I love traveling. We always look for hotels with an exercise room and a pool. The kids swim while my husband and I use the equipment. Works out really well, we get our workouts in and the kid get a quick swim.

• awaitressnomore wrote:

Pools are a wonderful idea! I didn’t even think of that one as an exercise activity!

7. Holly wrote:

Good Tips! Very helpful!

thank you very much!

Posted 11.7.17 Reply
  8. Great suggestions! I ALWAYS bring my workout clothes with me on every trip whether I end up working out or not. Also, online videos are so great for traveling, I use yoga with Adriene and even just a 10-minute video changes my entire day! Thanks for the tips!

• awaitressnomore wrote:

I love Yoga with Adriene. She’s the best isn’t she. Her and Yoga by Candace are my favorite ways to get ready in the morning! How you start your day is just so important.

9. Kaitlyn Napier wrote:

Something i don’t think about often, but is so important! Thank you for your tips, I’ll keep them in mind next time i travel!

Posted 11.8.17 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

You’re very welcome! I love creating helpful tips and tricks that I know I would use myself!

Posted 11.8.17 Reply
  10. Erin wrote:

Love your tips! Sharing this with my fiancé who, like a commenter above, was using travel as an excuse to skip the gym. He is on the road at least 2 weeks out of the month so this is super helpful. Thank you!

Posted 11.8.17 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Thanks so much, Erin! I hope it’s helpful. Being on the road is extremely hard on the body. Make sure they’re stretching well too. You can get super tight hip flexors from driving a lot.

Posted 11.8.17 Reply
  11. Mollie wrote:

This is such a great post! FInding the time to exercise is such a struggle. Exercise videos on my laptop have saved me numerous times!

Posted 11.9.17 Reply

You and me both, Mollie!

Posted 11.9.17 Reply
  12. Tiffany wrote:

I never thought of checking out a nearby gym that may have short term passes. Brilliant idea!!

Posted 11.9.17 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Thank you! You’d be surprised how many gyms offer this. Especially in tourist locations!

Posted 11.9.17 Reply
  13. Daron wrote:

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!

Posted 11.13.17 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

I appreciate the compliment. Thank you.

Posted 11.13.17 Reply
  14. I feel that your article is also important for those people who have serious concern for health and fitness.

Posted 11.15.17 Reply

I hope so too! Thanks 🙂

Posted 11.15.17 Reply
  15. What an awesome idea! thank you for sharing! i will definitely share this!

Posted 11.22.17 Reply

Thanks so much!

Posted 11.22.17 Reply
  16. Maurita wrote:

There is clearly a lot to know about this. I suppose you made some good points in features also.

Posted 11.27.17 Reply

Thank you very much!

Posted 11.27.17 Reply
  17. Hey, great article! I can definitely relate to the tips, that you gave us as I was also traveling and keeping myself in a good shape.
    At the beginning it was a bit tricky, but I grew used to it 🙂

Posted 12.3.17 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

Congrats on being able to stick with it!

Posted 12.4.17 Reply
  18. Nice post…

Posted 4.14.18 Reply

Thank you!

Posted 4.14.18 Reply
  19. I love exercise and work out 5 days a week but I do face challenge to work out when I traveling. The challenge I face is after traveling of whole day in a foreign country, I do not have any more energy to work out in the gym in the hotel. I love how you have also reminded people to eat clean and many more other tips to keep fit while traveling.

Posted 4.24.18 Reply
    • awaitressnomore wrote:

It can definitely be rough. I love sightseeing around a city and typically just count that as my exercise.

I’m really big on bringing healthier snacks or buying them when I get there. My body is super sensitive to salt and take-out food so I try my best to balance it all out 🙂

Posted 4.24.18 Reply