How to Help Your Significant Other Live Healthier

how to help your significant other live healthier

It can be really difficult watching someone’s bad habits or lack of investment in their own health. It can be even more difficult not to waggle your finger at them when their poor health choices come back to bite them in the butt! I’ve had a lot of first hand experience dealing with my own poor health choices, as well as those of my loved ones. When I was in high school I shot up from 130 lbs to 200 lbs because of antidepressants, poor food choices and lack of exercise. It took me years to get my booty in gear and shed those pounds, but I kept losing the weight only to keep gaining some back! It wasn’t until I majorly overhauled my life to become healthier that I lost the weight and it stayed off.

My father gained a lot of weight after a back surgery and he became diabetic. Even after becoming diabetic he wouldn’t adjust his poor eating habits and that, coupled with compounding health issues, led to his death when I was 13-years-old. My boyfriend has back issues that he would shrug off saying he just tweaked something even though it happened every time we cleaned or we ran together. It is so frustrating to watch those you love hurt themselves or fail to help themselves. I am right there with you! I promise there is a better way to help the ones you love jump on health train than nagging or telling them I told so. Both of which will just end up making them defensive and shut off to your suggestions. So how do you help your significant other live healthier?

healthy tips and tricks

Don’t force anything. Trying to push them to be healthier against their will will only leave you running into a brick wall. If you’ve landed here you’ve probably already ran into that brick wall over and over, so why are you doing the same thing still? Read on and see if you could be going at this a better way!

Set a good example. Cook healthy foods and eat the healthy snacks that you make for yourself. Workout and reap the benefits and maybe, just maybe your significant other will see

Find healthy alternatives for their favorite foods. There are a ton of recipes out there now and it’s super easy to find ones for your significant other’s favorite foods. When my boyfriend and I decided to start cooking cleaner and healthier his biggest issue was missing the foods he had come to love like macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, milkshakes, etc. So I sat down and scoured through recipes that were healthier versions of his favorite foods. If you help your significant other realize that eating healthier doesn’t necessarily mean missing out they’re usually much more willing to partake. I love Jay’s Baking Me Crazy for healthy or cleaner alternatives to fan favorite. You can also check out my Healthy Paleo Beef Stir Fry that’s delicious and nutritious!

Cook healthier foods for yourself. If you don’t cook already volunteer to do some of the cooking and choose some healthier recipes. If you’re already the cook try out some newer recipes intermingled with your old ones so it’s not too much of a change all at once. You can also take your current recipes and substitute in healthier ingredients like plain greek yogurt for sour cream.

Have healthy snacks ready to eat. I either purchase fruits and veggies pre-cut or make sure to cut them up when I purchase them so that I’m more likely to grab them than the more processed foods I have in our pantry. The convenience of junk food is one of the biggest issues that people have when trying to eat healthier. If you make healthier foods quickly available to just grab out of the fridge your significant other will be more likely to grab those.

Have emergency healthy snacks on you in the car. In your purse. Wherever you may be that hunger may strike you or your partner. I love Lara Bars because of how few ingredients they have in them so I always have a few of those in my purse and in my glovebox. I also have a bag of mixed nuts in my car and a couple of Trader Joe’s fruit leathers. Personally, I would much rather eat those snacks and save up any splurges for my favorites than get caught in a hunger emergency and have to stop for some fast food.

Bring healthy foods to parties. Getting ready for a Halloween party, a Super Bowl get-together or a Friendsgiving? Bring a healthy food option with you. I have a couple recipes that I always bring with me to parties that I know people will love despite the fact that they’re actually good for you! A veggie tray or fruit platter will always do in a pinch if you don’t have time to make something.

Take part in physical activities together. Join a kickball league, teach him/her how to do your favorite exercise or take evening walks together with the dog. Finding a physical activity that you both enjoy can make them immensely more open to being active without considering it exercise and being turned off to it. Exercise doesn’t always have to be sweating bullets in hot yoga or running a 5k.

Set a reward. Have them set a goal for themselves and when they reach it they get a special treat. Whenever I reach a specific wellness goal for myself I treat myself to a new item of clothing or a pair of workout pants. Have them pick something they love that they can look forward to rewarding themselves with when they reach their goal.

Have a cheat meal to look forward to. If you and your SO eat out a lot then eating healthy could be a big change for them. You can help them make healthier choices at restaurants, but once in awhile people are going to want some chocolate cake or a slab of BBQ ribs. Being healthy is all about balance which means sometimes they can have that gooey chocolate cake and BBQ ribs and so can you! Don’t forget when being a good an example of a healthy life to make sure you’re keeping balance as well. Let yourself have that chocolate cake sometime.

A good thing to do is to have a date night once a week or a cheat meal scheduled where you can eat your favorite foods like deep dish pizza or ice cream. This gives both of you something to look forward to and will help stop you from feeling like you can’t ever indulge. Just remember to eat till you are pleasantly full and not stuffed like after three Thanksgiving dinners.

Find other friends/couples who invest in their health. Surrounding yourself with people who also enjoy healthy foods and physical activities may help your partner less begrudging to take part. You can go on double dates with a couple who enjoy frisbee golf, hiking or kayaking. You can take turns having each other over for good, healthy meals or cook together. Surrounding yourself with people who are positive about healthy living can help make you and your significant other more likely to make healthy choices or get more physical activity into your day. It also helps to surround yourself with people who won’t try and diminish your goals. We all know those people out there who feel bad that they’re eating junk food while you’re making healthy food choices and they pressure you to take part. If you want to indulge make sure that’s your decision and not pressure from others. It’ll be easier for your partner as well.

Help them find an exercise activity they enjoy. You may enjoy weight lifting, but that may not be your partner’s dream exercise routine. Instead of trying to push your exercise routine on them help them find what makes them tick. Do they like being on an adult sports team with other people their age? Do they prefer to stop by the pool after work for a swim? Maybe they like to cut a rug and Zumba is there thing. If they enjoy the exercise they’re doing they are much more likely to continue doing it!

Ask them for help with your own health goals. Nothing can motivate a partner to get healthy like asking for their help with your own goals. Now don’t make up something that you need their help with. Lying should never be a part of a relationship! If you’re training for a marathon have them bike along next to you for a few miles or if you’re choosing to eat a certain diet have them help you cook. If you want to make sure you’re getting to the gym at least four days a week ask them to hold you accountable. Seeing you invest your time into living healthy may rub off on them and asking for their help gets them involved so they are more likely to do it for themselves as well.

Encourage them when they make healthy choices. Did they pick a salad when you went out to eat instead of french fries? Did they ask you to cook their favorite healthy food or suggest a walk after work? Make sure to verbalize how impressed you are with the healthy choices you make. Almost anyone loves acknowledgement when they do something right, especially from their significant other. I know I love compliments when I do something well.

Point out what they already do well. Everyone has something that they are doing well. Do they drink a lot of water during the day? Is one of their favorite foods healthy? Do they love walking the dog every night? I have yet to run across someone’s lifestyle that I can’t find at least one thing to compliment them on.

The main thing to remember when trying to help your significant other live healthier is that you can’t change anyone. You can provide a good example by living your own healthy life and encouragement by helping make healthy foods easily available. Support them by helping them find physical activities they like to do, but you can’t force anyone to do something they don’t want to do. Most important, make sure that you are taking care of yourself because you are of no help to anyone if you don’t practice self-care. Need some tips on self-care? Check them out here!

Do you have any handy tips or tricks to help your loved ones live a healthier life? Have you been the one who was unhealthy and you adopted healthier habits? Sound out below because I’d love to hear your story!

Disclaimer: Buddha Belly may make a certain amount of money if you purchase one of the suggested products on this page. Thank you!

1. October 24, 2017 / 6:32 pm

Amazing post, thank you! I love how you mentioned we need to be setting good examples. It is hard to expect other people to jump on the healthy train if there are sweets and other temptations around.

October 24, 2017 / 9:06 pm

So true. Thank you! Any sweets I really want I’ll go out and buy when I want them so not having them in the house to grab when I’m hangry or craving some junk food or sweets.

October 25, 2017 / 2:15 pm

Thank you very much!

2. October 25, 2017 / 11:03 am

Thanks for sharing the marvelous info. It is an excellent article which helps me a lot. I expect we will get this type of informative article more and more.

October 25, 2017 / 2:15 pm

Thank you!

3. October 25, 2017 / 7:27 pm

my husband LOVES soda. he likes all kinds of it. and can drink 2 L a day. It drives me nuts, especially because now our kids are teasing for soda. i don’t drink soda, and would prefer it to not be in our house at all. i have yet to find an alternative to this. he has switched to coffee while he is at work (for the winter, and he still puts a ton of sugar in it), but when he is at home, it’s all soda.

October 25, 2017 / 9:41 pm

Oh gosh, yeah. Soda is such empty calories not to mention the icky stuff they put in it. Has he tried healthier alternatives like Zevia or carbonated flavored water?

4. October 25, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Thanks for sharing these tips! As a newly married I’ve been trying to incorporate healthier choices as well as setting the example. Not always easy but necessary!

October 25, 2017 / 9:39 pm

Thank you! I’m so glad my boyfriend and I hit a good agreement on that early on. He was very open to healthy options. Getting him to go to PT for his back though was a whole other story 🙂

5. October 25, 2017 / 10:47 pm

Some great ideas. Totally me with snack stored in the car

October 26, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Yeah, I found emergency hunger cravings were one of the things that would really get me off track.

6. October 26, 2017 / 12:02 am

I love the idea of setting a reward! And a cheat meal is a great idea so that you don’t feel like you’re missing out all the time.

October 26, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Yes! When I feel like giving in I love knowing I have a reward/cheat meal waiting for me. I also keep a list of all the reasons why I try to live healthier and bring it out when I’m feeling bummed out or frustrated.

7. October 26, 2017 / 1:51 am

This is great not only for my significant other but for myself as well! Getting back on track is definitely going to be easier with this in mind.

October 26, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Thanks for reading! I’m glad this was helpful!

8. October 26, 2017 / 6:15 pm

I love this post! I understand that sometimes it can be very difficult to stay on a healthy track when you are with someone who eats unhealthy. I definitely agree that it is important not to be too pushy, but to explain your reasoning. I love all the detail that you included for each step.

~xo Sheree
    PoshClassyMom.com

October 26, 2017 / 7:12 pm

Aw, thanks, Sheree. It can get definitely be hard and having someone with similar goals or at least someone who is trying to be healthy too can be so helpful.

9. October 26, 2017 / 6:33 pm

these are all so great! my husband and i are both very active but really need to focus on eating healthier. the advantage and disadvantage of living in Dallas is the abundance of amazing restaurants and the ease of ordering delivery from them all.

October 26, 2017 / 7:11 pm

I bet! Yeah, my boyfriend and I really need to get into prep cooking on Sundays. It can get time consuming cooking every night and easy to make bad choices. The Dallas area sounds amazing!

10. October 26, 2017 / 7:31 pm

These are amazing tips! I need to start using some of these suggestions since there are a few people in my life that I really struggle to help. I really want them to eat healthier for their own well being 🙂

October 26, 2017 / 7:36 pm

Yeah, my father’s inability to really take care of himself really made me think about what I wanted in a significant other and for myself. Best of luck to you. Let me know how it goes!

11. October 26, 2017 / 9:24 pm

What an awesome post! I’ll try your tips 🙂

October 27, 2017 / 1:38 am

Aw, thanks so much. Let me know how it goes!

12. October 26, 2017 / 9:25 pm

This is really interesting for me except in my situation I’m the significant other that needs a bit of a push in the right direction as I have a health condition too. Will share this with my partner.

October 27, 2017 / 1:39 am

Being self-aware is a great first step! I know all about having health conditions. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully, you and your partner can team up together to help you make some healthier tweaks.

13. October 27, 2017 / 3:30 am

My fiancé is bigger than me on eating healthy, so he often pushes me way more than he needs to. These are some great tips on getting your significant other to make better choices with food!

October 27, 2017 / 2:34 pm

It’s great to get a point of view from the flip side. Hopefully these suggestions may help him be supportive as opposed to pushy. Let me know how it goes!

14. October 27, 2017 / 3:43 am

These are all such great tips! I love the idea of a reward. I’m a foodie, so I have a bad habit of eating all the things, but a reward might just do the trick. 😉

October 27, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Thanks, Chrissy! I love food too. So much, haha! I’ve just learned to save up my splurges for food that is worth it 🙂

15. October 27, 2017 / 8:03 pm

I love the idea of having healthy snacks ready. If not, I’d likely just snack on whatever I could find. Also people can encourage each other so much.

October 27, 2017 / 8:05 pm

Yeah, I always run into trouble when I’m hungry and driving. Knowing when you’re more likely to make unhealthy choices can help stop you from doing them. So tough though!

16. October 28, 2017 / 2:45 am

I’m saving this for later! Loved the snacks and rewards lol.

October 28, 2017 / 2:10 pm

Thank you! Good luck!

17. Marissa
    October 28, 2017 / 2:51 pm

Wow! Great points. I’ll definitely put some of these into place

October 29, 2017 / 3:37 pm

Thanks so much! Let me know how it goes!

18. October 28, 2017 / 4:41 pm

I really love this post! i shared it with my boyfriend and he agreed with everything too. love from both of us!

October 29, 2017 / 3:36 pm

Thanks so much! It’s great to hear it positivity from both sides!

19. November 1, 2017 / 2:05 pm

Great Ideas!! Definitely going to use these!

November 1, 2017 / 2:25 pm

Thanks so much. I hope they’re helpful!

20. November 12, 2017 / 10:01 pm

Great post! Thanks a lot. I’m currently struggling with making my life more meaningful. I hope, that I will be able to achieve that. Those ideas will definitely come in handy 🙂

November 13, 2017 / 1:21 am

Thanks so much! I wish you the best of luck!

21. December 4, 2017 / 3:21 am

Thanks for sharing the information. i really enjoyed your blog article. and you’r writing a good point.

December 4, 2017 / 10:12 pm

Aw, thanks so much. I appreciate it.

22. April 10, 2018 / 1:43 pm

The best way to live healthy is to have Quality sleep and there are some other things too that help to improve sleep and hence the overall health. Surprisingly i got to know that sleep in a direction has many benefits. so what you Think Which direction to sleep? Is sleeping on left side beneficial?
    Yes guys sleeping on left side has many benefits.
    By the way Thanks for sharing this post.

April 10, 2018 / 5:32 pm

Thanks so much for your input. I totally agree that sleep is very important. Especially the quality of sleep that you’re getting. It’s when your body restores and repairs itself.