Find Your Balance

balance
Welcome back!

Do you struggle to find balance in your life with health? Do you find yourself eating healthy and working out regularly for months only to lose that excess weight and then gain it all back again? The struggle is real y’all. I’ve been there done that.

Let’s get real. It is SUPER hard to eat healthily and work out all the time. Which is exactly why if you try and be perfect you will burn yourself out.Β  Orthorexia is a thing and, just like eating unhealthy all the time, it leads to an imbalance. You may find it difficult to go to parties where food or drinks may be a temptation or stop doing activities you find enjoyable so you can spend all your time in the gym.

That’s why it’s so important for you to realize that your health does not revolve around a diet or new exercise plan. It’s a lifestyle. A lifestyle that allows you to sometimes have those fries, maintain a healthy weight and feel energetic and content is one that is sustainable in the long run. You also know that sometimes you need to exercise when you don’t want to or that a second cupcake may not be the best idea. Find your balance to find your wellness.

I think you might be able to see a little about of yourself in my story below.

Busy? Pin now and read later!
find your balance

Ever since I can remember my weight has gone up and down. I wouldn’t necessarily call my self a yo-yo dieter. I never jumped onto any kind of diet bandwagons like no carbs, keto, Atkins or any of the other fad diets. Instead, I would go through periods of time where I would focus on my health by working out all the time and eating well. I would then drop down to my desired weight and once I reached my goal I would get complacent or I’d hit a rough patch in life and eat my feelings. Before I knew it all the work I had done was gone and I was back to feeling unhealthy and out of touch with my body.

No matter what I did I could never seem to find some happy medium. My first time losing weight was the summer I went into 6th grade. Determined to reinvent myself I spent those hot summer days at the track running to burn off the 20 extra lbs I held on my frame and ate healthy besides the Friday splurge on a piece or two of deep dish pizza.

I managed to stay relatively the same size until the end of my Freshman year when eating with my HS boyfriend all the time, out of whack hormones and antidepressants caused me to balloon up from my normal 130sh to almost 200 lbs. I was severely depressed after my dad died and the extra weight just made it worse. I felt like I was drowning and couldn’t figure out which way was up.

Eventually, I got on a mix of meds that brought me out of my depressive funk, I found a good group of friend to hang out with and I began to work out again. Slowly, but surely the weight started to come off and when I met my college BF I started to run with him since he was on the cross country team. I hit my normal weight of around 130 lbs again, but I would always just eat a ton and work it all off my running. It was definitely an unhealthy pattern.

Then I underwent my first hip surgery, got super depressed and broke up with my college boyfriend. I was in a super bad place again, eating my feelings, drinking more than I should be and not working out. Within two years I had bounced back up to 160 lbs and felt out of place in my own body.

Eventually, I got back into the swing of things and started to eat healthier and workout. Running had gotten too hard on my body so my main way of working out became weightlifting. Over the course of three years, I put on a ton of muscle, was super lean, sported a 4-pack and hit a one-rep max of 210 lbs for my squat. I could barely pinch any fat on me because my body fat was so low. I would eat super clean and when I didn’t I would feel disgusted with myself. I swear I could feel the fat growing on me if I dared to take a bite of a pastry or some other “unclean” food.

Again, I lacked any form of balance. I’ll never know if all of this pushing myself resulted in my getting Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, chronic pelvic pain and hip issues that eventually led me into my second hip surgery in 10 years, but it certainly didn’t help!

I won’t lie, all of these health issues bite the big one and I really miss being able to work out until I want to pass out…yeah, I’m one of those masochistic types apparently…but I am honestly happy that I had this happen because it pushed me into having a more balanced lifestyle. I can no longer just spend 2 hours working out to burn off extra calories, I have to give my body rest days and respect it.

Respecting your body. Hold up because I’m not your mother telling you not to let your date get to third base. That’s a whole other box of animal crackers. What I mean by respect your body is to feed your body nourishing, whole foods that help it function, keep it healthy by working out and giving it rest so it can rebuild. Find your balance.

When I was working out 7 days a week without any reprieve, not allowing myself the time I needed to rebuild emotionally and physically and deeply restricting or overindulging in food I was disrespecting my body. We only have one body ladies and gents and you gotta take care of it! Health is wealth and no amount of money can buy you a working body. Find your balance.

I repeat, find your balance.

Being healthy is not a diet you follow for a month, lose weight on and then go back to your overindulgent ways. It also isn’t exercising constantly for months at a time and then burning out because you got sick of the gym or injured yourself. Being healthy is a lifestyle. It’s scheduling in workouts so that you know you’ll get to them. It’s choosing to eat healthy during the week because your friend’s birthday is this weekend and you know you’re going to want a slice of double fudge chocolate cake and some wine.

I made a commitment to myself two years ago that I would do everything I could to respect my body and make choices for a healthy and balanced lifestyle. That meant not working out when I wasn’t feeling well or my muscles ached, not freaking out that my body looks different than it used to, taking time to meditate and journal, and feeding my body for nourishment the majority of the time. This has been hard. So hard. When I first began not working out each day I literally felt itchy in my skin, but when my muscles and brain were finally able to relax a little I realized how high-strung I had been feeling.

Do you recognize yourself in any of that? If you do I would love for you to look for where you might be able to find more balance in your life.

One of the biggest tools I always suggest is meditation and journaling. Without them, it would have taken me a heck of a lot longer to find my balance and become more at peace. Trust me I am no zen-like buddha (despite the name of my blog). I have days where I hate my body, feel cranky and just want to sleep all day. BUT those days are much less when I’m practicing meditation and journaling regularly. So get to it!

If you’re looking for balanced workouts check out Yoga by Candace who loves both yoga and weightlifting. Candace stresses the importance of wellness being a lifestyle too.

You are never too old, too young, too tired, too whatever to build a new, healthy lifestyle for yourself!

Do you have a similar story? Have you made healthy lifestyle changes for yourself that have had a big impact (or even a little one!)? I want to know all about it below!

Have a fantastic day!
find some balance

1. July 26, 2018 / 9:23 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your inspirational story. Your courage and struggle was palpable. Finding a healthy balance is key, I’m on my continuous journey to find it!

July 27, 2018 / 1:17 pm

I’ve found it’s always a continuous journey, but there’s a beauty in always being able to grow and change.

Thanks, Jennnifer!

2. julivaglobal
    July 26, 2018 / 11:43 pm

I think I so need to spend more time with finding my inner balance

July 27, 2018 / 1:18 pm

There’s a ton of resources on here if you want to do that! Also, you can always email me πŸ™‚ Let me know how it goes!

3. July 27, 2018 / 5:54 am

I used to do yoga but now I cant because after a disastrous accident my right side is partially damaged. and Food good or bad I have developed anorexia so no matter how much I want to follow your words I wont be able to..

July 27, 2018 / 1:21 pm

I’m right there with you on injuries getting in the way. I just had my second hip surgery in February and now found out I’ll need a replacement in the next 5 years. I don’t know how bad your damage is, but there are instructors out there who are specifically trained to help those who have different physical challenges find an exercise program that’ll work for you. I’ve gone through anorexia and binge eating in my youth and it is so tough to overcome. I feel your pain and if you ever want to talk feel free to email me.

It took me a loooong time to find a lifestyle that worked for me, but I know you can find one for yourself too. Even if it seems like your anorexia is controlling you right now it doesn’t have to be. Don’t give up the hope.

4. July 27, 2018 / 4:37 pm

Yoga is fantastic and is very holistic for finding the balance. We are so happy Jun 21 is world international yoga day. Add meditation to it and you are set πŸ™‚

August 3, 2018 / 9:16 pm

That’s a great mix right there!

5. July 27, 2018 / 4:47 pm

It’s so hard for me to find my balance with food. I LOVE desserts.. I definitely overindulge and need to work harder on not going overboard. Thanks for sharing your story.

August 3, 2018 / 9:15 pm

Hi Serena,

I too have a major sweet tooth. It’s the worst at night. That’s one of the things I still struggle with, but I’m figuring out different ways.

6. Daisy
    July 27, 2018 / 5:16 pm

My weight goes up and down so much. I struggle with what I think I should be doing to be healthier… I loved reading your post so much and it gave me insight as how I can better find a balance….

7. July 27, 2018 / 6:03 pm

This was very informative, finding a balance in everything in life is very important so you don’t end up chocking yourself. Gaining weight is absolutely not an option for me because of my current health issue, however, find a balance has help me live longer than assumed.

August 3, 2018 / 9:17 pm

I’m sending good vibes your way. Keep on truckin!

8. July 27, 2018 / 6:53 pm

This was so inspirational to read! I’m so happy that you were able to get back to a healthy mindset and have such a positive outlook!

9. July 27, 2018 / 7:45 pm

This is so insightful. It really is about balance! So easy to think we need to live up to expectations and look a certain way. I’m pleased you mentioned fries.. they have to be part of my balanced diet πŸ™‚

August 3, 2018 / 9:15 pm

Hi Carly!

I love this πŸ™‚ My balance is all about when I FEEL good now vs. when I look good. And fries should always be a part of a balanced diet. I just got one of those air fryers and I’m super stoked to use it with some sweet potatoes.

10. July 27, 2018 / 8:00 pm

This was really inspirational. I have been working on creating balance in my life and having a healthy mindset.

August 3, 2018 / 9:14 pm

You got this Sue-Tanya!

11. July 27, 2018 / 10:27 pm

This was such a great read.I love the way you think.

August 3, 2018 / 9:13 pm

Aw, thanks so much Tesha!

12. July 28, 2018 / 3:05 am

I gain weight πŸ™ I really want to get my fit body but I’m so busy person but I like your inspiring post πŸ™‚ Motivation is always the key <3

August 3, 2018 / 9:13 pm

Try and remember that your health and wellness is one of the most important things. Without it it’s impossible to do all the other things that keep you busy. Find little ways to incorporate wellness into your life!

13. July 28, 2018 / 5:36 am

Indeed, finding inner balance is something of a long term goal i need to invest my time in…..

August 3, 2018 / 9:12 pm

Health is wealth! It’s such an important thing to put your time and energy into, but a lot of society doesn’t put a huge importance on it. Respecting your body and putting health first can make your life so much richer. πŸ™‚

14. Neil Alvin Nicerio
    July 28, 2018 / 8:03 am

Thanks for sharing this very inspirational article. I got a lot from this. Keep it up. πŸ™‚

August 3, 2018 / 9:11 pm

Thanks for reading, Neil!

15. July 28, 2018 / 10:05 am

I totally agree it is so hard to lose the extra pound in your body especially the fat in the belly. I workout 5 days a week and enjoyed it a lot but my struggle is eating clean. I love food and sometimes the food I take just not clean enough. Totally agree with yout strike a balance is the key. Thanks for sharing my favorite topic!

16. July 28, 2018 / 10:05 am

I totally agree it is so hard to lose the extra pound in your body especially the fat in the belly. I workout 5 days a week and enjoyed it a lot but my struggle is eating clean. I love food and sometimes the food I take just not clean enough. Totally agree with yout strike a balance is the key. Thanks for sharing my favorite topic.

17. July 28, 2018 / 2:25 pm

Finding your balance in life is very important. I really feel like it’s a key to being happier and fuller. Yoga and mediation helps me a lot

July 29, 2018 / 1:25 am

I couldn’t agree more! Both of those really helped me change how I speak to myself and find my priorities.

18. Love, Sawyer
    July 28, 2018 / 3:37 pm

Finding that balance is one of the hardest things for me. It seems I either exercise every day or not at all.

July 29, 2018 / 1:25 am

Hi! I totally understand. It took me a looong time to find that balance. I have faith you can find what works for you too! Feel free to message me if you ever need some help or just an ear to listen πŸ™‚

19. July 28, 2018 / 4:31 pm

Your story is inspiring and gives me hope that I will be able to find my balance again. Thank you!

July 29, 2018 / 1:23 am

Thanks so much and best of luck!

20. July 28, 2018 / 5:49 pm

I’d never heard about Orthorexia before but I’ve experienced it so it’s good to know the label.

July 29, 2018 / 1:23 am

Hi Shana,

Sometimes it’s just good to know others are going through what you’re going through.

21. July 28, 2018 / 6:34 pm

This is something I’m struggling with too. I know I need to find balance in order to succeed in what I want to do. But I tend to either eat all healthily, salads, fruit and vegetables only. Or I don’t care and just eat junk food. I think it’s about finding a balance, otherwise I’m just yo-yoing and never getting anywhere.

July 29, 2018 / 1:22 am

Hi!

It’s so difficult. Once you find the ability to balance between the two there’s a great freedom πŸ™‚

22. July 29, 2018 / 2:50 am

I definitely would love to find my inner balance. Honestly, right now, I think I am one total mess. Thank you so much for inspiring me.

August 3, 2018 / 9:10 pm

Whenever I feel like I’m a mess I remember Kintsugi. Look it up πŸ™‚ It reminds me that no matter how broken I feel I can put the pieces back together and be even better.

23. July 29, 2018 / 4:04 am

Hi Jen, Thanks for sharing this great post. I can relate it with my life. I’m struggling to have a good health from months. Thanks!

August 3, 2018 / 9:09 pm

Sending good vibes your way, Harish!

24. July 29, 2018 / 7:45 am

Thank you for your inspiring story. I agree It’s so important to realize that our health does not revolve around a diet or new exercise plan. It’s a lifestyle. We need to balance everything. Find our balance.

August 3, 2018 / 9:09 pm

Manee,

You’re so very welcome. I’m glad others can relate πŸ™‚

25. July 29, 2018 / 9:46 am

This is such a helpful and beautifully written post! I do struggle with finding my balance but one thing am learning to do more now is respect my body.

August 3, 2018 / 9:08 pm

Hi Kamapala,

Thank you so much! I’m so proud of you!

26. July 29, 2018 / 10:18 am

Great article – I definitely need to spend more time finding my inner balance. I’m about to start a new chapter of my life, so now is a good time to start making some positive changes like this! x

August 3, 2018 / 9:08 pm

Oooh, a new chapter sounds exciting!

27. Everything On A Plate
    July 29, 2018 / 10:13 pm

Your struggle definitely inspires us! We are recovering from a fractured tailbone. Packing on the pounds

August 3, 2018 / 9:08 pm

Ouch! That sounds really rough since your tailbone is connected to so many different things. I’m sending you good vibes! How long is your expected healing time?

28. Elizabeth O
    July 30, 2018 / 11:18 am

Finding balance in life is probably the most important lesson anyone can learn. There have been times i’ve been unhappy with my body at my smallest and also at my biggest, and then I realised that once I found a healthy balance happiness just came naturally.

August 3, 2018 / 9:07 pm

I love this message!

I saw a photo of myself from a year ago and the beach and I remember how I felt so bloated and disgusted with myself. Yet I look suuuper tiny and muscular in the photo. Body dysmorphia can do a real whammy on your perception.

29. July 31, 2018 / 1:53 pm

Hhhhmmmmm…I do, yeah….only that it took me weeks to get used to it! You know, I ought to write about this story of mine. What do you think, Jen?

XO

August 3, 2018 / 9:05 pm

You should go for it!

30. Fibi Drese
    July 31, 2018 / 2:52 pm

I used to do yoga. I will go swimming everyday. Seems I should do more yoga again. Thanks for your tips

August 3, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Hi Fibi,

You’re so welcome. It’s great to have an activity that helps balance you!

31. Jenn
    July 31, 2018 / 6:45 pm

This is a great reminder that having a balance in life creates a rhythm in our life.