My 5th Week Healing After Hip Reconstruction Surgery

1. Why did you need the surgery? Sounds like one hell of a journey. Good for you for pushing through and taking care of yourself even if that care sometimes hurts.
    Amy-Lynn Vautour recently posted…Lauren B. Stevens Talks about Freelancing, Finding Work, Networking and MoreMy Profile

I had hip surgery in 2011 to repair my labrum. It’s basically what keeps your femoral head in your hip socket and keeps them from rubbing up against each other. I suffered for about two years with chronic abdominal pain and zero hip pain. Turns out they missed something during my first surgery and the bony spur they left tore up my whole labrum and made a tendon that runs from your groin up to your belly button super tight. I presented extremely odd so it took them a long time to figure out and a lot of advocating for myself. I saw 46 doctors by the time someone actually had some vague idea of what might be wrong. I’m just grateful someone finally did!

2. Alison Rost says:

It sounds like you’re being very productive and it’s good to hear that you’re feeling so much better and that you’ve gone through a lot of progress. It’s good to follow your routine but it’s also important to know when your body has had enough.
    Alison Rost recently posted…Eggstra Special Fritters (Every Day Should Be Fritter Day, Really)My Profile

Keeping busy makes the time go by much faster. Plus I had a million things on my to-do list that I actually got to do since I had some down time.

3. Esme Sy says:

I would imagine that your Week 7 will be more of the same good things you’ve had from weeks 5 and 6. You’re doing good! I know that surgeries are awful and sometimes met with bad timing but all of these are just phases you never know you’ll forget someday soon because of the real bliss that’s about to come in your life.

Hi Esme,

Yeah, I wouldn’t trade this journey in for anything. Before it all started I had zero clue what I wanted to do with my life or what my purpose was. It definitely helped push me back on track. That being said I will take all the bliss! 😀

4. I can’t imagine going through this. You have definitely been through a lot and you should be happy that you’re making such progress. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

5. Daisy says:

You have truly gone thru so much…. I’m happy you are making progress and wish you a fast healing…

6. I’m so glad to hear that you’re recovering! Baby steps are important, and you’re coming along wonderfully. I hope you’re feeling 100% in no time at all! xx
    Emily Fata, http://www.EmulatingEmily.com recently posted…Wanderous Affair: Exploring The World One Trip At A TimeMy Profile

Thanks, Emily! I’m just so excited to be able to confidently plan some summer trips. Last year I couldn’t really plan because I never knew how I was going to feel. I’m having some major wanderlust right now!

7. Nailil says:

Wow, it sounds like you have been through quite a bit. It is good that you are healing well. Keep us posted on your progress. Sending good vibes for a speedy recovery as well.
    Nailil
    Nailil recently posted…How I’m tracking my Fitness Progress with MISFIT Vapor SmartwatchMy Profile

8. Ana Ojha says:

Sorry to hear that you went through all this but hats off to you girl for sharing your healing journey. Hope you get better soon!

Hi Ana,

Thanks so much for reading. I honestly wouldn’t trade the experience for the world. It definitely put me on the right path.

9. Elizabeth O says:

So pleased to read your recovery is going well, slowly but surely you are making great progress and I hope you are back to full health soon. Keep trooping on!

10. Joanna says:

I actually know someone who is also recovering after hip replacement surgery and he is hoping to get back on the golf course by may. I laughed at your gummy bear collagen incident. I guess it can happen to anyone, you wouldn’t think that it can do so much damage.

Best of luck to him! It’s a hard road, but definitely worth it. People laugh when I said I felt better a few weeks after hip surgery, despite the pain, because I had been in so much pain before. It’s awesome!

11. Khushboo says:

You are dealing with a tough situation with great aplomb. I hope you your road to recovery stays on track. Keep smiling and take care 🙂

12. Preet says:

It sounds like you are keeping busy and being productive in it, which is very good. It is nice to hear that you’re feeling so much better, you are one brave girl!

13. Ayana says:

You are doing so well! I’m happy your healing is coming along nicely, and it’s cool to hear about that scar ointment (and that it’s actually making a difference). Just thinking about having to bike after what you’ve gone through makes me queasy and irritable lol. I’m glad you gave your body a break. And props for getting out for St. Pats!!

Hi Ayana,

I was thrilled to bike at first even though it was painful just because it was something to do, haha. Now it’s not painful, but it gets boring super quick. I’ve tried to make it more enjoyable by facing it towards a window and listening to a good book on Audible, but there’s only so much you can do 🙂

14. Tiffany Yong says:

Oh gosh, thanks for sharing this recovery journey with us. It feels painful just by looking at your words, I’m glad you are recording this to motivate people and yourself! Keep going!

Thanks so much, Tiffany. Being able to share with everyone during this hard time has made it so much easier. All the questions and comments from people who are going through the same thing or similar that I can help with makes me feel so useful when I’m stuck in the house most of the time, haha.

15. jossy says:

Glad you are making recovery steps.
    jossy recently posted…5 Ideal Places To Stay In Bali-IndonesiaMy Profile

16. Journa Ramirez says:

So good to see that you’re feeling a lot better now. Stay strong! Sending lots of love.

17. Cia Black says:

You are making quite the progress. I hope it continues to get better for you.

18. Amanda says:

Girl you are kicking some major butt! The fact that you have been biking while in so much pain says a lot about your willpower. Keep up the good work!