What is Proper Gym Etiquette (or Gymtiquette)?

1. Laura says:

I don’t go to the gym a lot anymore, but I used to hate it when I went to use machines and people hadn’t wiped it down. Nothing worse then wanting to ride a bike but it’s still covered in sweat!

I feel ya. I’ve been hitting up my apartment gym lately just because with my chronic pain it makes gym pass not really worth it at the moment. I definitely don’t miss that part, but I do miss being in the gym!

2. Susan Minich says:

This is my pet peeve! If you’re sick, don’t spread the love! Snot and then touching weights and machines grosses me out!

3. Vicki Law says:

My pet hate was when the equipment wasn’t wiped down nothing worse.

4. May says:

Thank you for this! I can’t tell you how much it annoys me when people leave the equipment sweaty or they don’t place weights where they found them .

5. Jane says:

Amen to no flirting at the gym! There is a place for that, can we all just workout and go home, please? And please could you wipe off your sweat on the machine before you leave?

6. Yes!! I think this should be made into a poster and place in every gym!!

7. Lola says:

Great post. Thanks for the tips! Especially the one about staying home if you’re sick!

8. Lisa says:

This is great! Some of these are common sense but its crazy how many people actually don’t follow them! haha

9. Kim says:

When I go to yoga, I am one of the few people who wipe down the yoga blocks. It kind of grosses me out to know that when I pick up my blocks, someone probably did not wipe them down:(

Ewwwwww, I didn’t even think of that! I know for a fact that my yoga studio wipes them down each evening, but a ton of people use them in between. I’m definitely wiping my down before and after now!

10. Yes! I wish everyone knew this. There’s so many people at the gym who need these reminders.

11. Mia says:

I feel like these are essentials that need to be posted at every gym! The worst is when someone uses a machine for way too long !!

Yeah, it really messes with your routine and timeline. It’s very frustrating. I’ll just secretly print some out and post them all over my apartment gym, haha!

12. Annie says:

These are great tips! I didn’t think about letting someone use a machine in between my sets and me between theirs. Thank you!

13. Dami says:

We all need posts like this. It is important to have gym etiquette or even etiquette in general. Thanks for sharing

14. Emily Krings says:

AMEN!! this is sooo true

15. Dawnmarie says:

A bunch of these are actually good practices in life period. For example, when you are sick, please stay home. At the gym, at work, at the grocery store, at school — just stay home. Courtesy for others in so many areas could make for a happier, healthier world. 🙂
    Dawnmarie recently posted…Must Have Disney Character Pictures?My Profile

16. Love that you’re talking about gym etiquette! I have been weight lifting for 15 years now and I always see people doing completely the opposite. Ugh!

Thank you! It is so frustrating because I don’t want to be mean, but I also want to get my workout done in relative peace.

17. I only work out from home now, but when I did go to various gyms…wow, I can relate to every one of these “gymtiquette” rules, because I saw people breaking every one of them! Very well said.
    Dr. K. Lee Banks recently posted…Do You Need an Attitude Adjustment? My Dad’s Legacy of GratitudeMy Profile

Haha, I know right! They need like gym security guards except it’s to stop people from leaving treadmills all sweaty and dumbbells all over the place.

18. Cristina says:

I get so angry when people hog the weights or when people stare at you doing weights or exercising! So unnerving.

The staring thing is just so weird. If they want to work in or need to use something please just come over and ask. I’m more than happy to share! As far as the hogging goes, I absolutely adore circuit training, but there is a time and place for that. If I want to incorporate circuit training into my workouts I make sure to do it when I know it’s going to cause the least convenience.

Just yesterday at my apartment gym a younger kid moved right in front of me to watch himself to overhead presses while I was obviously trying to look at my form while doing deadlifts.

19. Tina Basu says:

wiping down the machines makes a lot of sense – imagine lying on a bench press which has sweat on it from another user – gross!!!!
    Tina Basu recently posted…Micronutrient Deficiency among Indian Kids – Tips for a Rushed LifestyleMy Profile