How Journaling Can Help You Right Now!

1. Such good advice. I started a journal as part of my yoga practice. The key for me is to set a timer so you only journal 5-10 minutes a day. Otherwise it is too much to process. Very much has helped me to be mindful. Have you seen the research on how writing with pen (as opposed to typing) also helps with anxiety?

Doing it as part of your yoga practice if a phenomenal idea, Shelia! I like the idea of the timer too. I tell myself to at least journal for 5-10 minutes and I always end up going longer, but usually for me that’s better. I actually came across some interesting research in how pen to paper is more cathartic than typing it on a computer. The same goes for affirmations. They aren’t nearly as effective if you type them out vs writing them by hand.

2. Blu says:

I have anxiety and I know it’s beneficial to me when I do take the time to journal, I just need to get to the point where I’m consistent. I sure as hell have enough empty journals to do so lol

I was a total journal hoarder before I made a point of actually writing in them so I definitely understand. Now I’m almost done with my third and have actually filled them all up!

3. Dee Jackson says:

This is fantastic. I have journalled before but had to stop for a bit but you are so right. It’s a great way to know yourself.

It definitely is. It was so important for me to make it a habit at first because I tend to let things fall by the wayside. I made a note in my planner to myself to make sure that I do it and I checked it off each night. Now my evening doesn’t feel complete unless I write a little bit.

4. Elisha says:

I didn’t know journaling could be so beneficial. I just might think about trying it now.

5. I started journaling when I was 12. Unfortunately, one evening while very pregnant, I burned all my journals… eeks! Not sure why, I think at the time I thought I was writing a new book about my life… and my childhood and teenagerhood was difficult – perhaps I wanted to relieve myself of my past… anyhow – water under the bridge. It would have served me well when my girls were going through very alike experiences growing up… I’ve since written journals for them – – and at times, for me! Thanks for sharing those great points.

Aw, that’s such a loss to lose all that information about yourself, but I definitely understand pregnancy hormones if they’re anything like PMS. That’s a really great idea for your girls. I’ll keep that in mind if I ever have kids. You’re too sweet!

6. Meagan says:

I also dabbled with journaling for years. I liked the thought of it but was never consistent with my practice. I have been journaling first thing in the morning the last couple of months and I really enjoy it. I find it helps put me in the right mindset to start my day. Interesting read!

I definitely need to either do that or some yoga in the morning. My new year’s resolution for this coming year is to get up 20 minutes earlier to do some journaling/meditation/yoga and make my morning smoothies!

7. jill conyers says:

Journaling is part of my morning ritual. I’m still amazed by the benefits.

That’s awesome. Doing a couple things in the morning to get me started off on a good note is definitely going to be on my New Year’s Resolution. I am so not a morning person, but how you start your day is so important. So I applaud you!

8. Vanya says:

This is a wonderful article, thank you so much for writing it and going into such depth, it’s really helped me understand why people rave about journaling. I’m not sure where to start but I’m ready to give it a go! With very many thanks
    Vanya recently posted…Slow travel – hidden treasures in the heart of rural TuscanyMy Profile

9. Emily says:

Writing is soooo therapeutic for me. I actually made A 365 prompt journal for m boyfriend last Christmas so that he’d have a reason to write too!!
    Emily recently posted…Arbonne ReviewMy Profile

10. Nisi says:

I really love the way you look at journaling! I have been doing it for most of my life, on and off like you, and this post gave me happy memories. I used to journal about the good things, about my secret dreams, hopes for the future, etc etc I have just realized that except for when writing about my travels, most off my writings have been venting the bad onto paper. I have 5 sisters I can do that with! I am starting today with keeping it positive !!!

I like it! I like to have an even balance of the good and bad. I definitely try to write what I’m grateful about each day. Stay tuned for some journal prompts that I’ll be posting soon!

11. Katrina says:

Totally inspired to go buy a journal right now!! I always feel like I’m forgetting so many wonderful moments!

Aw, yay! I know! Every time I remember something cool from my past I’m like oh man gotta write it down. I also take a ton of photos.

12. Dionna says:

Journaling is a huge part of my life as well. Great read!

13. Ann says:

I started journaling my day to day activities, though a struggle when got very busy, and tired of all the days chores. I want to complete a month not skipping a day.

Best of luck. Try coming up with a reward for yourself if you meet all the days and having someone hold you accountable. Those tricks work really well for me!

14. I have the kids journal when we travel. Not just to comment on what they see but also how they feels about it. Really adds to their learning and incorporate it into their self.

Natalie

15. Yvette Munro says:

Me reading this article today is so meant to be. I actually went out and bought myself a journal today. A gorgeous purple one. I have so much on my mind and so many goals for 2018 that I want to document.

16. I used to journal all the time and then I started my own blog, so that sort of took the place of it. I would admit to you that I’m in a journal drop out in the writing in a book sense, but I do miss it now that I’ve read your post. There’s just something about letting the words flow out through your fingers and onto paper. For me, it was super helpful in getting me out of my head! I recommend it to everyone, even if I don’t do it the traditional way anymore! Great post!

I can completely understand that. I am very personal in my blog so it can at time take the place of my journaling, but I love the freedom that comes with not writing for anyone but myself.

17. evelyne says:

I really like your point about emotional intelligence and understanding yourself better – I noticed the same thing! There are certain patterns to my behavior and moods (and my interactions with other people!) that I hadn’t been aware of before writing and journaling. It really is a great tool for reflection!

It really is. The US has such a go, go, go mentality so being able to sit back and reflect can be so important. We really aren’t taught to be able to find patterns in our own behavior and I think through journaling we can sometimes be our own best teachers.

18. Noelle Lynne says:

Wow I LOVE LOVE this! Journaling is such an amazing way to let yourself go, going to pick up my journal tonight and give myself some self love and me time!